As writers, we all have different habits. I like to write during the day, preferably early in the morning. I’m no night owl, so I marvel at people who have the stamina to write throughout the night.
I’m also pretty structured, in that I’ll sit down in front of the computer, or with a pen and paper and jot down a few ideas or notes, before I set off on my story. I also try and set myself a word limit, nothing too ambitious. But I try to write at least 500 words a day.
I came across an article recently on writers habits which lists the very interesting writing habits of some famous writers. Below, are just some and it goes to show, no matter what your habit is, if it works for you, it works for you.
1. Stephen King. King writes at least 10 pages a day, even while on vacation. Maybe I should bring the old laptop on next holiday, or then again, maybe not!
2. Vladimir Nabokov. The author of Lolita and Ada, wrote on index cards and while standing up. This was so that he could re-arrange the index cards, depending on how he wanted the scenes arranged. Pretty good idea.
3. Truman Capote. The author of “In Cold Blood” had to write lying down, in bed or on a couch, with a cigarette and coffee. He wrote his first and second drafts in longhand and in pencil. And although his third draft was typed out on a typewriter, it would still be in bed, while he balanced the typewriter on his knees.
4. James Joyce. Joyce was so careful with each word, that he counted his work in sentences. It is said that a friend stopped him in the street one day and asked whether he had a good day writing. Joyce replied that yes he did. How much did you write, the friend asked. Three sentences was the reply.
5. Philip Roth. Roth works standing up, pacing around as he thinks. He claims to walk half a mile for every page he writes. He also ensures that he doesn’t write where he lives. So he had a studio built away from his house and works at a lectern that doesn’t face the view of his studio window, so as to avoid distraction.
Any thoughts on the above? What are your writing habits?